Hanover County has modified their bathroom and locker room policy to account for students that identify as transgender or non-binary. Will Spotsylvania County Schools follow a similar policy? The rumor is that Spotsy Schools is looking at a similar policy that will be implemented by the end of the year. Below is the policy from Hanover County schools.
A student, along with their parent or guardian, must submit a written request to the principal of the school where the student attends. School administration will receive all relevant information, which may include:
- a statement from the student that, among other things, specifies their gender identity and how they have consistently, persistently and insistently expressed that identity.
- signed statements from the student’s personal physician, therapist or licensed counselor verifying that the student has been diagnosed with gender dysphoria and/or that the student consistently and authentically expresses a binary gender identity.
- statements from the student’s parent or guardian.
- student disciplinary or criminal records.
- information related to the privacy and safety of other students; and any other relevant information, including documents from other interested parties.