We hope everyone had a great first day of school today in Spotsylvania County !
Here is the speech by Roy Searles during public comment at the 8/8/2022 Spotsylvania County school board meeting. He comments on a variety of topics including staff vacancies and Spotsylvania High School.
Here is our response to the board member comments by Lorita Daniels. The purpose of the school division is not to promote inclusiveness or equity. The purpose of the school division to provide you the tools to get a job. Nothing more, nothing less. Equity is divisive concept. Inclusiveness has evolved to nothing more than virtue signaling and pandering.
Twigg announced prior to closed session that there are 108 staff positions that need to be filled. By comparison, WTOP reported that Prince William County has 318 positions that needed to be filled in their Sunday August 7th article. WTOP also reported that Montgomery County has 246 teacher openings in their August 8th article.
There is a special meeting of the Spotsylvania County school board on Wednesday August 3rd. Screenshots of the agenda are below. There are two main topics on the agenda; a closed session to discuss personnel matters and the Superintendent’s report on employee vacancies. Hopefully, this meeting produces answers to the following questions.
- Will the new Superintendent finally be announced?
- Will Uncle Rich be back from vacation?
- Will Makaila spend more money on another frivolous lawsuit for everyone’s amusement?
The conservative majority on the school board along with interim Superintendent Kelly Guempel are getting the job done with regards to hiring staff for the upcoming school year in the Spotsylvania County school division. The number of openings was much higher 1 to 2 months ago. Guempel provided updated staffing statistics at the July 26th special meeting. Below is the video and a summary of those stats.
- Every class in every school is covered right now
- 127 staff openings remain right now. Last year at this time there was 67 openings but that does not include the additional 60 positions that came with the new budget
- 79 classified openings right now. Last year at this time there was 30 openings but that does not include the additional 45 positions that came with the new budget
- 300,000 teachers left the profession across the nation so there is a national teacher shortage
- Virginia is number 8 in the nation in teacher shortages
Despite this good news, many on the far left portray this news as the sky is falling without any context. Virginia is number 8 in the nation in teacher shortages. There was over a 10 percent reduction in education majors compared to 4 years ago. The teacher shortage problem is not unique to Spotsylvania County.
Towards the end of the school board meeting, it appeared that school board member Dawn Shelley was cleaning her nails and not fully paying attention to the stats Guempel provided. Does Shameful Shelley not care about the staff hiring success? Does Shameful Shelley have a political agenda? Why doesn’t Shameful Shelley compliment Guempel instead of complaining about the start time of the meeting?
There is a special meeting of the Spotsylvania County school board on July 26th. Screenshots of the agenda are below. The main topic on the agenda is a closed session to discuss personnel matters. Could this be the school board meeting where they announce the new superintendent? More importantly, the world awaits answers to the following questions.
- Will they play the song “Celebration” by Kool & the Gang as Twigg, Gillespie, Phelps, and Abuismail walk towards the dais to start the meeting?
- Will Twigg have to place Shameful Shelley and Nasty Nicole in time-out?
- Will there finally be white smoke coming from the chimney?
The Spotsylvania Education Association (SEA) is a teacher’s “union” that promotes partisan left issues. Below are screenshots of the SEA Facebook page. The first screenshot shows SEA members attending the National Education Association (NEA) convention in Chicago. The second screenshot shows SEA promoting labor unions.
SEA is associated with the radical leftist NEA organization. The NEA is the same organization that proposed a resolution to change “mother” to “birthing parent”. Redefining words is both Orwellian and comical. SEA members include many teachers in the Spotsylvania County school division. Is it any wonder why parents in Spotsylvania County are concerned about indoctrination instead of education?
SEA is a union that does not have collective bargaining powers. Hopefully it stays that way. The problem with public sector unions that hold collective bargaining powers is that they bargain against the taxpayer. Union dues are spent to elect pro-union politicians. Those same pro-union politicians negotiate with the same union for taxpayer dollars which in turn pays the union. This corrupt circular cycle continues on and on and on.
Makaila Keyes lost her frivolous lawsuit against the conservative fantastic four on the Spotsylvania County school board. In March 2022, we wrote a series of articles covering this frivolous and meritless lawsuit. Those on the left thought Keyes would win and use this as a basis to recall school board members. However, anyone on a middle school debate team could have ripped apart the arguments presented by Keyes and the Edwards Law firm. Below are the articles we wrote back in March showing the weakness of their case and how this lawsuit was a waste of time, money, and resources.
In open court, it was revealed that Shameful Shelley, Lying Lorita, and Nasty Nicole entered the closed session on January 10, 2022 as we reported earlier. All three of them were very public prior to court that this did not occur. However, open court revealed that they lied to the public. We found it odd that the plaintiff, Makaila Keyes, was not in the courtroom today to explain how her rights were violated. This implies that the case was very weak.
It appears that this was all a political stunt to overturn the results of the November election that resulted in the conservatives winning the majority on the school board. In the first month of the conservative majority, leftists including Shelley and Cole participated in recall efforts to remove some of the conservatives. There is a picture showing this on the front page of the Free Lance Star. Link is below.
THE FANTASTIC FOUR WON IN THE FRIVOLOUS MAKAILA KEYES CASE. Finally, there is justice for Twigg, Gillespie, Phelps and Abuismail. And in other news, Shameful Shelley and Nasty Nicole admitted to being in the so called “illegal meeting” when they previously said otherwise. #WINNING
Here is a video of Uncle Rich at school board meetings. Lieberman gave himself the nickname “Uncle Rich” on his model mayhem webpage years ago. We provide a screenshot showing this highlighted in yellow. “Leader in Sports” is the business he owns.
Earlier today, we reported on the tweet from Jim Jatras potentially being a candidate for Superintendent of Spotsylvania County schools. If Jatras is a candidate for superintendent, is this really a surprise? Let’s look at the situation.
- He has extensive political experience as a former diplomat and foreign policy advisor
- He has spoken at many school board meetings in support of the conservative majority
- He has extensive ties to the movers and shakers in Washington DC
The conservative members of the school board were elected with a mandate to change the public school division. Given the ideological divide between the conservatives and the leftists on the school board, we can see this being a 4-3 vote assuming Jatras is the guy. Jatras is a firebrand conservative. He is the outside the box candidate that Spotsylvania County schools need. Managing the policy structure of tens of thousands of children in a school division is probably easier than managing the policy structure of hundreds of millions of people.
We predict a Jatras administration would send shockwaves throughout the county and accomplish the following in very short order in the school division.
- Remove EQUITY from the mission statement and replace it with EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
- Remove all explicit books from the library of each school
- Remove all woke agendas and identity politics
- Support teachers by giving them the tools to help children excel in the workplace
- Focus the school division on the basics – reading, writing, history, science, and math
- Remove the school division’s association with SEA, VSBA, and other woke organizations
Here is a tweet by Jim Jatras from July 16. Could this be true? Could conservative Jim Jatras be in consideration for the Superintendent position at Spotsylvania County Schools? That would definitely send shockwaves.
There is a special meeting of the Spotsylvania County school board on July 20th. Screenshots of the agenda are below. Here are some topics on the agenda.
- Closed session to discuss personnel matters
- Second reading of the student code of conduct
- Upgrading a part time hourly position to a full-time position with the Regional Adult Education program
Perhaps, just perhaps, this special meeting will provide the world with answers to the following questions.
- Will the school board shock the world and name Uncle Rich the new superintendent?
- Will Shameful Shelley let us know if she has enough cargo space in her new car, the 2022 Nissan Kicks?
- Will there be white smoke coming from the chimney?
If you have watched the school board meetings or followed the Wire over the past year, you will understand the references.
Here is the speech by Rabih Abuismail during board member comments at the 7/11/2022 school board meeting. Mr Abuismail focuses on the huge raises that the conservative four was able to achieve for teachers. The previous leftist majority over the past few years that included Shelley and Daniels were not provide teachers with these huge raises.
Here is the speech by Jim Jatras at the 7/11/2022 school board meeting. He addresses the superintendent search at Spotsylvania County Schools.
At the July 11th school board meeting, two public speakers made a frivolous accusation against school board member Lisa Phelps. This accusation was from 2 years ago and is brought up every few months or so by Dirty Uncle Rich or Looney Lofaro. Both these individuals claim that they have a video that backs up the accusation that she said something inappropriate. However, we have seen the video and it proves nothing. Phelp’s voice is not heard in any part of the video. She is clearly not visible in the video we have seen. Since this keeps coming up every few months, we wanted to set the record straight by showing a video clip of Phelps rebutting the frivolous accusation from the November 2020 school board meeting.
Dawn Shelley had the Spotsylvania County school division pay $2685 to the Virginia School Board Association (VSBA) for various services and seminars she attended from 2019 to 2022. At the June 13th school board meeting, school board member Lisa Phelps read a specific list of Dawn Shelley’s expenses. The VSBA is an organization that holds leftist views with their pro-collective bargaining (in other words pro-labor union), anti-school voucher, and anti-school choice positions pushed by paid lobbyists. We covered this in earlier Spotsy Wire articles.
At the June 13th school board meeting, Shameful Shelley asserted that spending a few hundred dollars at a conservative conference was a crime and needed to be paid back. Yet, Shelley spent $2685 of taxpayer money to the VSBA. Shouldn’t Shelley have to pay back the $2685? Doesn’t Shameful Shelley see the double standard? Please watch the below video.
At the June 13 school board meeting, Lisa Phelps explains that the Spotsylvania County school division pays the Virginia School Board Association (VSBA) $12000 per year in membership fees. This does not include the cost for seminars or other services that that VSBA provides. The overall cost by Spotsylvania County taxpayers we suspect is much higher. Check out the video below.
Shelley, Cole, and other leftists make the claim that spending a few hundred dollars at a conservative conference is a crime. Yet, Shelley, Cole, and other leftists have no problem spending over $12000 in taxpayer dollars towards a partisan leftist organization. The double standard is self-evident. Why is there not more outrage against spending $12000 plus vs just a few hundred dollars?
The VSBA claims to be a nonpartisan organization. However, the Spotsy Wire has provided evidence from the VSBA website that this is not the case. VSBA has leftist positions that are pro-labor union, anti-school choice, anti-school vouchers, and has lobbyists pushing pro-leftist partisan issues. Check out our earlier articles on this issue.
The Virginia School Board Association (VSBA) advocates for leftist partisan positions despite claiming that the organization is nonpartisan. Here are two more pieces of evidence showing they are partisan.
The first screenshot is from the VSBA Legislative Positions document from January 2021. The items highlighted in yellow in the screenshot are also bulletized below. The positions against school choice and school vouchers are partisan positions from the left. Conservatives favor school choice because it increases competition which forces educational institutions to innovate or improve their educational product. If an educational institution offers a bad product, then they go out of existence.
- “VSBA opposes federal or state efforts to mandate school choice…”
- “With vouchers and tuition tax credits, private and home schools would have an advantage in competition with public schools because they can be selective in admissions and can refuse to provide services which public schools by law must provide”
- “The VSBA opposes any federal or state voucher and tuition tax credit legislation and any legislation that would provide vouchers or tuition tax credits for elementary and secondary private and home-schooled school students”
The second screenshot is from the 2022 VSBA Legislative Priorities document. Again, the positions against changing charter school law and school choice are partisan leftist positions. The items highlighted in yellow in the screenshot are bulletized below.
- “VSBA supports the existing charter school law, which allows local school boards to establish such schools/programs and opposes any attempt to remove local school board authority from this process”
- “The VSBA opposes federal or state efforts to mandate school choice, including efforts to divert or condition funding from existing federal and state programs”